SOS to Nanny McPhee




In 2001 I failed student teaching in first grade and did not receive my master’s degree.  I wanted to teach English for Speakers of Other Languages, but I had to survive a semester of classroom management first.  My adviser told me that I will never be a teacher before I have a child of my own. 

Now I have a child and I remember the six year-old that saw me as another kid, even though my daughter is not quite two.

She has a princess bed with a canapé, yet she wakes up around 9:30 am in my bed.  She falls asleep between me and my husband around midnight. We carry her to her bed.  Two or three hours later she opens the swinging doors from her room into ours and climbs in into our bed.

Tired papa gets up at 6 am to go to work.  He scolds me for not pushing nap time at the certain hour to make her turn in before 10. 
I attempt nap time every day.  I join her in her bed. Where my face is hit by the plastic hands of Jessy doll, my teeth are examined by my daughter’s little fingers, my eyes are poked, and I am tickled. 

I do it at 1 pm, she pretends to quiet down and close her eyes and I leave.  Ten minutes later I hear the drum roll of little feet running after me.

I stop my house chores a 2 pm, and repeat the process. On a miracle day I am successful, on most days she waits to fall asleep in her papa’s arms when he gets home from work.

Both my husband and I are creative, procrastinating people. When we get to work on a project we are stubborn enough to finish it no matter what.

So, breakfast turns into snack, and dinner turns into evening tea.  My s
et up rolls into clean up without a break.

-Come for dinner!   
-I will be right there I am working on something.
-It’s getting cold!  
-You should be happy I hung that picture.  I made an A on my last assignment.

Our working papa is working on his graduate degree. He helps around the house with things that are usually the men’s responsibility.  He loves his daughter and they have a special bond.  He can also discipline her.

When I attempt to tell her “No” she starts banging her head on the floor and screaming.  Maybe this is typical terrible twos, but then what’s our excuse.

My mother comes out for her breakfast we I am attempting lunch for my toddler.  “When did you manage to cook this? I couldn’t get up today. I thought I will die tonight but I didn’t.”

I plan my moves around the house to multitask and still find things to pick up, clean up, and fix on my way.  The washing machine and drier seem to work around the clock.  I interrupt pant hemming or vegetable chopping for a diaper change.  I take the dog out with full hands and not enough cloths for the weather.   

The husband will come home and find everything I didn’t get to in a minute.    “Why is this food sitting out? Put in the refrigerator.  The dog pooped downstairs.  Do you ever go outside? There is a package on the steps."
   
The strange thing is, weather or not the babe had a nap or not, she still will not turn off the night or wake up in the morning at the decent hour.  This may be terrible twos or this may be mama being a playdate.

Then she will smile and dance and we all forget to discipline her.

At Simchat Tora, she found the bimah.  She danced around the Torah table with everyone else and then discovered the little step leading to the arch.  Now when we go to Shul, she wants to sit on that step or dance on it, or climb it.  

She gets there before I blink.  I coax her back with snacks and making funny faces.  The husband gets upset.  She is interrupting a Holly moment.

As always the people are split into two camps on this one.  Some would think we don’t control our child.  “ Please don’t let her to the bimah, only the Bar Mitzvah family or Cohen Gadol is allowed up there.”  They will make stern faces, offer to take her away from there, and give parenting suggestions.    The others will say, “Let her play, let her run!  She is so cute!  She should love the Shul.”

I have been attending and visiting many Synagogues.  Reform, Conservative, Modern Orthodox, or Chabad, you will find these two types of people.  

Yet regardless of what people think, this is still an SOS for Nanny McPhee.
How do mothers of five do it? And observant Jewish women my age usually are mothers of at least three kids.  They seem to run a well-oiled machine without effort and I am not managing one.

As with the bimah situation, I will get two answers.  One-  “You are doing great, she is cute and healthy, she will grow out of it.”  Two- “You are a parent not a friend, set boundaries and stick to the schedule.”  All of which is easier said then done.       
   
   

Comments

Unknown said…
You are a Good Mother of a "TWO YEAR Old" all that is needed to say! My own daughter who lives in Italy has gone through this very same situation with her little 2 year old who is now 4. This sweet little Grandgirl of mine demands my daughter's full attention and if she doesn't get it she will then find a way. She has broken her collarbone from falling out of my daughter's bed, gotten into her Daddy's blood pressure medicine and had to be rushed to the emergency room for charcoal drinking and at one point of her "2 year old reign" she TPed the whole house with whatever toilet tissue and paper towels she could find making it a dire emergency for other members of the family to rush to my Son in Law's Mother's house for extra toilet tissue! Hang in there as it will pass. Rest when you can as you can only do so much. Tell anyone who wants to criticize you that you would be glad to trade places with them for the day so they can get a better perspective of how to criticize you!