Split Personality in Fairfax VA. 08/08/18


A friend of mine recently posed a question of what is a southerner.  By his definition I am one of them, since I lived in Charleston, SC for over 25 years.  It got me pondering on labels we put on ourselves by trying to belong in groups.  It got me thinking about Facebook Groups, and all those likes, and clicks that make up our wall.  Facebook now thinks for you, based on that history.  That made me go and clean that up.  I unfollowed all of the marketplaces.  My recent move made this a nightmare. I was terrible at Mom-swapping and garage selling. 

I want to start an experiment to see if lost friends suddenly find me, if I start getting hate mail, or if I overload that FB algorithm.  So Let me Introduce myself and a new blogger.
Я Коникова Сусанна.  Я родилась в Сухуми, Абхазия.  Я училась в 19 Школе Имени Комарова. Мой адрес не дом и ни улица, мой адрес Советский Союз. 
I came to Charleston at the age of 16m and in Middleton High School they knew me as Susan Agrest, because social workers attempted to Americanize me to make my blend in.  By the time I went to College of Charleston, it was a nightmare for Susanna Agrest to get her naturalization papers in order with all the misspelling of her name.
I joined Facebook in October of 2010 because it was the only way to reach my younger cousins, who responded to text faster than making a choice to pick up the phone. 
Slowly by surely I joined groups.  I was a member of Russian Charleston, Synagogue Emanu-El, Chabad of Charleston – Center for Jewish Life.  On January 12 2017 I became a Jewish Mother. My daughter was a member of Shalom Baby of the Low Country.  My husband  Yaar Ben Emmet and I became members of Congregation Dor Tikvah.

In April of 2018 my husband lost his job and our journey to our new residence began.  I joined West Ashley Mom swap, Charleston Mom swap, and populated all the other Garage Sale and market places.  I needed to get rid of baby cloths and items never used.   Real Estate searches added friends to my acquaintance lists. My profile was bombarded. Meanwhile my husband fired 2 realtors, and 2 property managers before our home in Carolina Bay was finally rented out.
Yesterday I went to Colesbury Place Block Party.  Met my new neighbors.  I am now a member of Northern Virginia Jewish Families (and Individuals), I am ready to Jump into Judaism NoVa.  My family is now attending Chabad Lubavitch of Northern Virginia.  I am a Jewish Mom of NoVA.  I am ready to start my transition to the Joys of Kosher and follow Jamie Geller to become a real Balabosta.
For some reason all of those groups, though share members do not seem to communicate very well to each other.  And I am faced with a two Jewish and three opinions on the question on what to buy to split my kitchen into Dairy and Meat section.  That will be a story for my next blog, but for now,
This is Mrs. Susanna Agrest-Woodard developing a split personality in Fairfax VA.      



Comments