The Long Good Bye 08/12/18




My mother has been negative for as long as I can remember.  She has also grown up as an atheist, despite her father’s faith.  Yes, she has invented reasons to worry her entire life, but there were legitimate reasons for it.  Now, I see how much of it was simply a personality trait. 

Despite her neurosis, my mother was a workaholic and a survivor. She always did the job of seven men, and she managed to raise a child with physical disabilities as a single mother. 

A few years after we came to America, both my mother and me went through Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s of her parents.  Because she is the first-born and a woman, mom  was the one to take care of them most.  Now in retrospect, it was a lot easier to “Honor thy father” with my grandparents.  They were in love till death did them part.  Most importantly, they were grateful for what they had and wanted to give it away to help anyone who asked for anything.  It would also never occur to my grandparents to consider the sin of suicide.  

Whatever you study, read, or discuss, whatever you prepare yourself for, I doubt anyone can be ready for the transformation that my mother went through.
My mother wants to die.  She does nothing but waiting for it to come.  Based on her ancestry and current state of heath, she will wait a long time.  Unlike her parents, she criticizes absolutely everything, isn’t appreciative of anything done for her, and is scared of any changes. 

I have two friends battling cancer. They have little in common, but they both do it with hunger for life and a smile on their faces.  Meanwhile, my mother is wishing for death, and waiting for it to come.  She is 76 and, aside from needing pills for borderline cholesterol and diabetic levels, is in perfect health for her age.  She can walk up and down stairs with ease.  She can take the garbage bag from the kitchen to the dumpster, she can carry a toddler, chop, peal, boil, and whatever else you need to do in the kitchen.  She can do these things but she doesn’t do them.  She stays in bed till noon or 2 pm.  Then she comes out in her nightgown, without a shower, uncombed, and barefoot. 

“I didn’t do anything, I tried to die and I didn’t.”  

“Mom, take a shower, dress and then come to eat, you are scaring the baby.”

Не могу!”  (Ne mogu) is the Russian phrase for “I can’t.”

“Why can’t you?” 

“Because I have nothing to wear, because the water is cold, because nothing fits and nothing works.”

NE MOGU! is what I hear in response to everything.   After living in Soviet Union in an apartment with one bathroom, lighting gas in the burner to heat the water for her bath, suddenly, my mother can’t figure out how to mix hot and cold water in the shower. 

Yes, some old pieces of clothing don’t fit after she lost about 30 lb in a year.  However, many relatives and friends, me included, have bought her cloths that fit.  In her mind they are too colorful for an old woman, too hot, too cold, too synthetic, too fancy….. and it never ends.

Yes, we moved from a house we built ourselves with new appliances to a house built in 1970.  The linoleum tiles in the kitchen bulge up in places, the countertops are made of mystery material, the gas stove makes a clicking noise if the levels are a bit off, the dishwasher racks are plastic, the three bathrooms we have all have limited storage space, and shower heads could be replaced.   But no, not everything is broken and we can make it fit.

It will be difficult to make that kitchen kosher.  But, I don’t even mention my plans to do so to my mother. That is a bit far down the line on my to do list.  Right now, I am happy when I have dinner on the table and my daughter has survived another day. 
Yes, I chase a toddler, or the dog for half a day.  My daughter opens cabinets and throws things out.  The dog has accidents when she is neglected.  I turn to Disney Princesses to babysit my child, instead of reading Russian Nursery Rhymes and putting her down for a scheduled nap.  Yes, I occasionally order dairy treif pizza, because I chose to unpack another box.  But this is not a catastrophe. 

Miraculously, my family eats complete meals made from kosher products and they have laundered cloths.  It is a miracle, because bubby is unable to watch her granddaughter for 15 minutes.  She also can’t wash dishes, peal or chop onions, or turn on the microwave.  “I don’t’ know where anything goes IN YOUR KITCHEN.” 
Yes, in this house or in the one before, for the past three years, it’s my kitchen.   
My redheaded, year-and-a-half sunshine, which others call a doll, is the reason for this “long good bye.”   The birth of my daughter is the onset of my mother’s anxiety and depression. 

“The baby is cold, why is she barefoot? This food is too salty.  You are doing this all wrong.  The baby can’t eat this, it needs to be ground for her.  I can’t eat your American “mishugane” food, it’s too cold.  Why can’t we have simple potatoes and salted herring?”  

When, for reasons unknown the food is edible, she eats a double portion and follows it with “Where did this come from? This is very good, but I shouldn’t have eaten it.  I should just die.”

I don’t tell her that my American husband will never eat salted herring, or that the baby is too old for formula.  In fact, most of the time I ignore her, but it is no always easy.

Was this in some ways predictable?  Were there steps to be taken? 

Somehow, when this “energizer bunny” found out that my IVF worked and I will actually have a baby, she had a gradual breakdown.  Grandparents wait and dream for their grandchildren, yet my mother decided that from it I am going to die.  Then it changed to “I can’t hold the baby I will drop it.”  The baby that wasn’t born yet that is.
After the baby came, she changed it to “I don’t know anything in your kitchen.  I can’t go grocery shopping, and I can’t drive anymore.”  

Now, she can’t take a shower because she doesn’t know what to put on after she gets out.  So instead, she stays in bed. 

I have herd from psychiatrists, who changed her anxiety meds three times with no 
effect, that I should have changed her environment at the onset of symptoms.  Family members advise me to be kind and patient.  Yet, nobody can tell me when the onset actually was, and family can tolerate this maximum for an hour.  After an hour, her brothers would say, “I tired. I can’t do anything.” 

So, I let her be and procrastinate.  Her new non-driver ID, new Power of Attorney, and research on affordable options is pending.  I was advised to use Mental Health Intake or community resources.  After answering an anonymous questionnaire, based on her symptoms and behavior, I was advised to call the Suicide Hotline.  Something tells me; however, that actually committing suicide will be too much work for my mother.
Her first primary care visit is coming up this week.  I do not look forward to getting her showered and dressed for her appointment.  It may involve some shouting and even some force.  But, the safety of my daughter comes first, and I hope Ha-Shem will understand.

    


Comments