Kol Ha Isha, The Voice of a Woman 08/28/18


Chabad.org states that the singing voice of a woman is considered sensual (like nakedness) and possibly stimulating to males. It is therefore forbidden for a man to hear a woman other than his immediate family sing and it is prohibited to pray or study Torah in that environment.
Several halachic (Jewish law) authorities are of the opinion that a recording or a radio transmitted singing voice of a woman who one does not personally know would not be actually prohibited. It is the custom however in most orthodox circles for men to refrain from hearing a woman sing in any format through any medium. ( I guess on the off chance that they actually know the artist.)
Torah puts such enormous value on the bond between a husband and wife that it does not allow for any potential damage to a man's undivided and unequivocal devotion and attraction to his one and only partner in life.
For those of us, who strive to be observant but still live in the real world the reason behind the custom makes little sense. Let’s face it, ladies, if your husband can be lead astray by a song on the radio, something aside from a singing voice is seriously wrong in your mishpocha. Same goes for a movie, or a classical music concert. Yes I know that quite a few pop stars wear things that are nothing if not immodest. In that case, they clearly know that voice alone is not going to do it and have a goal to lead men astray.
Two years ago, my husband and I lead a high holiday service in a conservative Shull as part of a small choir of enthusiasts. Last Sunday I attended a performance by a female group performing to women only. As a voice major in college and a member of a symphony chorus for over 20 years this was a lot for me to take in and accept.
About 70 women enjoyed a concert of Jewish music with a few classical pieces thrown in and a lecture on the role of music in Jewish life. Nigguns written and recommended by Lubaviche Rabbi were introduced as a way to reach your soul. All the way through the lecture I was thinking how much my husband would enjoy the content being presented.
Some of the members of “Re-Joyce” the 4 member performance group had other women recording the show on their cell phones. So, we know for the fact now that some men have witnessed it. I know what most will say. They were filming for maily members or they are not observant. But wouldn’t that be a violation of a mizvah for at least three women who are?
The musician in me decided right away to join Re-Joyce. I sent the leader of the group an audition video of me singing with Jewish Choral Society of Charleston. My husband has previously joined me in music making both Jewish and secular. At the end of the day I can make a recording as well and review it at home. An artist in me says, it doesn’t matter how many people or what kind of people you perform for. A woman in me wants to learn the service and participate in the Shull to the fullest. I have no problem with traditional gender roles. I have no problem gender stereotyping when it comes to my daughter’s cloths. I enjoy cooking, knitting, lighting Shabbat candles, and being a mother. I doubt, however, I will ever get used to the see through wall separating women from men at the Shull or accept the Koll B’Isha Erva.

Comments