Hello, My Name is Susanna and I have Cerebral Palsy 08/20/18


Hello, My name is Susanna and I have Cerebral Palsy.   That doesn’t quite have the same ring as at Alcoholics Anonymous.  It is not require routine like diabetes, it is not as disabling as some wheel-chair-bounding back injuries or chronic conditions.   I see people with CP everywhere.  If it is severe they just exist, if it did not impact the brain they are usually in sedentary and academic professions. 

The American philosophy is “let’s make them comfortable.”  Despite the contrary school slogans of inclusion, it is not let them participate.  For the most part, services and programs concentrate on children.  Adults with CP seem not to exist.  That is, until you are face-to-face with those didn’t sink but swam.  

My personal Cerebral Palsy meant that I was doing physical therapy exercises my entire childhood.  My mother stuck to a scheduled routine of massage therapy, specifically prescribed workouts, and dance and music lessons suggested by medical professionals.

It mattered little to my mother if I like music or dance, we were doing it to make me  like all the other “normal” children.   I had other interests as well, but a lot of times they didn’t matter.

Aside from that, I was regularly pulled out of school for a moth to undergo other therapy.  Sanatoriums in Soviet Union were resorts with medical treatments in the morning.  Here most of those things are spas for the rich.   Only Lewis Litt enjoys a good  mud bath, right?
Well, in the Caucasian Mountains I enjoyed mud baths, underwater massage, Black Sea water 6 months in a year, mineral spring water baths, and much more. 

By every reasonable  standards, my mother succeeded to make me normal.  By the time we came to America, my CP was only on paper.
I had no physical symptoms of CP to speak of.   The doctors said they can’t do anything for me and told me to go to a gym.  Most of the people around me thought of me as a girl with a limp.  Some have asked me if one of my lets is shorter.    
Yet, the brand of CP came back to bite me on and off, over and over again.  At some point in my college years, I had a delusion of singing in musicals.  Two auditions were enough to kill the dream.  It wasn’t even what people said, but the glances enough were enough to let me see,  that those born to crawl will never fly.

My lack of flexibility or limited field of vision did not matter until I ended up in a classroom full of first graders for my student teaching at the end of grad school.  They say a teacher should have eyes in the back of her head.  I didn’t, and I couldn’t control the classroom.  I didn’t graduate and straight As didn’t matter after coming 9 credits short.
In 2006, at the age of  30, I had a 70-year-old big toe with a bun sticking out on my left foot.  Left is my CP affected side, it is weaker and off balanced.  That toe carried the weight, did the job of the heal  and by 30 became a problem.   Thank G-d I was employed and had insurance at that point.  I had an operation to put a nail in the toe and make it straight. 

When I was 13, doctors foretold the issues with the toe, with muscles, and with hip joints by the age of 40.  It didn’t matter much to a thirteen-year-old.  
I am 42, I have a toddler who weighs 23 lb.  My strong right hip never came back in the right place after giving birth.  The forecast is true and it’s here.

Sometimes, it’s hard to get out of bed in the morning.   My supportive husband is showering me with Deep Blue cream, TENS unit.  Vibration Plate, and  Tylenol Arthritis.    Unfortunately, mud baths are still only for Lewis Lit, and a trip to the Dead Sea is not on the schedule so far.  The medical options are not present for adults with CP.   Other support series are available for those that have it a lot worse then me.   To be honest, my only true disability is that I don’t drive.  There are people that have  it a lot worse.  That is something I tell myself to get through the day.

Physical limitations aside, it is funny to recall some of my prior failures or shattered dreams today.   My husband doesn’t see my limp.  He finds my wobbly duck gait sexy because he can focus on my hips.
He doesn’t see a woman over weigh, he sees the mother of his child.  When I attempt to do my physical therapy exercises, he sees the Mother of Dragons.  I have to forget that I am in pain, because the husband saw a come on in my stretching. 

My daughter finds me hilarious and loves unconditionally.  Something tells me she is destined to do all the things I couldn’t, because she is “normal” and beyond.  

Comments